4.6.08

I injured my...

...Thumbs!

Yeah I know...weird eh? What a stupid thing to call the doctor about.

Nurse: What are we seeing you for?
Me: Um...well, I hurt my...thumbs...
Nurse: Oh? Erm, ok...

Yeah, not funny! I actually know how I did it and everything. After I wash the yarn, I roll it up in some towels, then do this snapping thing. I put my thumbs in the loop and give it a good snap, about three times each skein...

So anyway, I did the last batch on Saturday morning. I didn't notice any discomfort while doing it...just after wards, I realized that my thumbs were really weak. I couldn't grasp things, I couldn't write, I couldn't knit or spin! I let it go until Monday...it still isn't better...so I called the doctor.

He was really nice about it...he even understood what had happened. Apparently because it didn't hurt as I was doing it, he thinks I just pulled the muscles. Which is good! Muscles heal quickly...tendons do not. So he says its good I didn't injure the tendons. If it would have hurt as I was doing it, he said that would probably be the tendons not the muscle. Tendon injury could mean surgery!

So now I am to wait 5 days, and if they aren't better I need to come back and see about imaging to verify it wasn't my tendons after all.

Blah! Spinning and knitting are still a no go, but writing and typing have gotten easier. So I assume that they are healing. Sigh, I miss knitting! I have to be more careful now, my hands are my main tools for all the hobbies I love...I don't want any permanent injuries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo... That really sucks. My ankles have been killing from spinning lately, so I've been trying to take it easy.

Good luck! Go buy more fiber, it'll make you feel better. :)