8.2.07

Interweave Knits Spring '07

I wanted to write a little bit about the new issue. The layout has changed, and while I understand the reasons for the change, it is going to take a bit to get used to it. Basically, they have moved the instructions for the patterns to the back, while leaving pictures in the front.

Other knitting magazines do this currently, but I don't know that this is what I prefer. Something about having the instructions with the first picture is nice, convenient and makes it more like an article rather than instructions.

When the instructions were located in the front, I felt there was more of an emphasis on the designer and description, and I liked that. Each pattern felt like a feature rather than mere instructions.

Also, I feel it's a waste to have to flip back and forth in the magazine to see all the available pictures of the pattern. Only a few pages divide the section of pictures vs. instruction, and so it seems a bit of a waste to have them separate. If the magazine its self had more content in between I could see how it would possibly be more logical.

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but it will just take me some time to get used to it. I will keep my eyes on the blogs to see how others feel about the change.

As for the patterns themselves, I have a few in mind that I might like to knit, but overall, I enjoyed my long awaited winter issue much more. Maybe this is only because I had to wait so long for it, or maybe the patterns were just more appealing.

Other events in my knitting world seem to have slowed down. I think it is because of the cold weather. Friends have grown quiet in both blog land as well as in email -- And I am no exception! While work has kept me very busy, I just haven't been in the mood to write or communicate much.

Perhaps we humans still have some instinctual process similar to hibernation. The holidays provided us with the over indulgence in food needed to sustain us through the long winter months. Then we stay at home surrounded by familiar comforts where it is unnecessary to communicate with the outside world. Tucked away in our cubbies, we knit, and dream of warmer weather.

No comments: